Mapo tofu is another very popular tofu curry, just as the Thai red tofu curry. Mapo tofu, however, uses different ingredients and is usually not vegan or vegetarian. The original recipe uses pork but, fortunately, it can be vegan as well and super delicious too. So how do we make vegan Mapo tofu?
Vegan Mapo Tofu
Vegan Mapo tofu can be prepared very easily if you can find two essential ingredients – a bean sauce (also called black bean sauce) and a hot chili paste. It is easier to look for these items online, such as on Amazon if you have them in your country. Just make sure that the cooking pastes you buy are vegan. You will also need a few more items:
List of Ingredients
- Tofu (preferably soft): 200-300gm
- Chopped mushrooms: half a cup (optional)
- Black bean sauce: 1 tablespoon
- Hot chili paste: 1 tablespoon
- Soy sauce: 2 tablespoons
- Red onion: 1 small
- Ginger/garlic paste: 1 teaspoon
- Green onion: one bulb and leaves
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
How To Cook
- Cut tofu into small cubes.
- Finely chop the red onion & the green onion bulb. Reserve the green onion leaves for garnishing.
- Heat some cooking oil in a pan and sauté the onions along with ginger/garlic paste until the onions are translucent.
- Add black bean sauce and chili paste, and the chopped mushrooms, if using.
- Sauté some more.
- Add soy sauce, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in 200ml water and bring the curry to boil.
- Drop the tofu in and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add salt if needed.
- You can adjust the amount of chili paste to make the curry more or less hot.
Mapo tofu is done. Garnish with green onion leaves. This curry is enjoyed best with steamed white rice.
Watch A Recipe Video
I have linked here a Youtube video showing a Vegetarian Mapo Tofu Recipe. This is the link: How To Make Vegetarian Map Tofu