Anyone can make a scrambled egg. But can anyone make scrambled tofu? Here is what the problem is. One person posts a recipe video on Youtube to make scrambled tofu and one of the ingredients the recipe suggests is ‘nutritional yeast’. From that point on, all subsequent copycat videos on scrambled tofu will also list nutritional yeast as an ingredient.
The “designer” recipes of scrambled tofu will also suggest adding some non-dairy milk (like soy milk) to make the scrambled tofu creamy.
Now look at it from the point of the netizen who wants to make scrambled tofu. They just bought a block of tofu in the supermarket. But if they do not have nutritional yeast and non-dairy milk in their kitchen, or they cannot buy it for whatever reason, will they even try to make scrambled tofu?
Well, if you have Amazon in your country, you can buy nutritional yeast online. Soy milk can always be found in a good supermarket. But that is not the point. Many published recipes of vegan foods suggest the use of vegan substitutes of animal ingredients to bring the taste of the vegan dish close to the “real” thing. But should we do that? Why does scrambled tofu have to taste like scrambled eggs?
The Good Recipe
Scrambled Tofu Without Nutritional Yeast
This recipe of scrambled tofu uses everyday ingredients from the kitchen, the stuff that we always have. Of course, if you have nutritional yeast, then you can add that too for a cheesy flavor. I will share the recipe now.
- 200-300 gm firm tofu
- 1/2 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic (finely chopped)
- Mushrooms (chopped)
- Red bell pepper or tomato (chopped)
- A green leafy vegetable of your choice (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cooking oil to a pan, heat it, and add chopped onion and garlic. Sauté on medium flame until the onion is translucent.
- Add crumbled tofu. Sauté for 5 minutes. This step will evaporate the moisture from the tofu.
- Add chopped vegetables, spices, and condiments and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the vegetables become soft.
- Tofu scramble is ready.
Mexican Style Tofu Scramble
If you want to try an even simpler Mexican style tofu scramble recipe, see this video: Mexican Style Tofu Scramble. This recipe from ‘Jen Milos’ Youtube Channel is really nice.
Tofu scramble is the vegan recipe with which you can actually experiment. Choose the veggies that you like and use the condiments that you love. Don’t worry about getting the flavor of scrambled eggs. You are making a vegan scramble and it can have its own unique flavor. Enjoy it.