I was looking for a vegan tofu recipe from Korea and I got lucky. I found Dubu Jorim – a spicy braised tofu that works as a side dish with any meal. It is super easy to make and uses every day ingredients that you have in your Kitchen. If you want to cook a Korean dish, it doesn’t get easier than this.
Dubu Jorim – Korean Braised Tofu
- Firm Tofu: 300gm
- Red Onion: 1 small
- Green Onion: 1 bulb and leaves
- Garlic: 1 good sized clove
- Oil to fry
- Soy sauce: 1 tablespoon
- Hot red pepper paste or powder: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Sugar: 1 teaspoon
- Water: 1/2 cup
- Wrap tofu block in a paper towel and keep something a little heavy on it to drain the water from it.
- Once the tofu is dry, cut it into slices. The size and number of slices can be of your choice.
- Pan fry the tofu slices in oil. Make sure to fry on both sides until golden brown. Keep aside.
- Start with the sauce. Put all the ingredients of the sauce in a bowl. Mix with a spoon until the sugar is dissolved. Your sauce is ready. Keep aside.
- Finely chop red onion and garlic.
- Chop green onion bulb.
- Chop the leaves of the green onion and reserve for garnishing.
- Heat a little oil in a pan. Add red and green onion, and chopped garlic.
- Sauté until golden brown.
- Add the sauce.
- Cook on medium flame until the sauce thickens.
- Drop the fried tofu slices in the sauce and mix. Make sure to coat all the tofu slices with the sauce.
- That’s it. Your dubu jorim is ready. Garnish with the green onion leaves.
Watch A Video
There is a really nice recipe video on vegan Dubu Jorim from the ‘Maangchi’ Youtube Channel. Please watch it here: Spicy Braised Tofu Youtube Video