If you want to make a tofu snack for the first time, crispy fried tofu will be the easiest to make. It is also a recipe that allows for a lot of creativity in terms of the flavors. You can do with the minimal salt and pepper or you can jazz it up with paprika, garlic powder, pizza seasoning, or anything that comes to your mind.
I will present here a moderately spiced crispy tofu recipe. You can use either firm or soft tofu for this recipe. If you are using silken tofu, just handle it carefully so that you do not break the cubes.
Let us make it.
- 300 gm tofu (firm/soft)
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Carefully pat dry the tofu block with a paper towel. The idea is to have tofu as dry as possible.
- Cut the tofu into cubes and keep in a large bowl.
- Mix the corn starch and spices in a small bowl.
- Add corn starch/spice mix on top of the tofu cubes.
- Mix gently so that all the tofu cubes get evenly coated with the corn starch/spices mix.
- Heat enough oil in a large pan to shallow fry the cubes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Carefully place the tofu cubes in the oil one by one.
- Fry on all sides till golden brown.
Your crispy tofu is ready to enjoy. It goes best with a red chili or hot & sweet sauce.
Watch A Video
This Youtube video from Veganleonora has a similar crispy fried tofu recipe: How To Make Super Crispy Tofu. You will like it.